9th Korea Day at MCC

 


Today the 9th Korea Day was celebrated at Madras Christian College. This was my second time attending this event but I was still excited. My friends and I seated ourselves at Anderson Hall fifteen minutes before the event began.

The program started with a ‘K-pop random dance play’ where the dancers danced to a fusion of K-pop songs. It started with the hit song ‘Fire’ which boosted the audience. They covered a lot of K-pop groups such as BTS, Blackpink, Stray Kids, Seventeen etc.,

The dancers’ outfit looked very good on them. Some of the songs they covered had a complex choreography yet they pulled it off and I appreciate that a lot. It was an eye-feast to K-pop lovers.

After the fusion dance, some students started singing solo songs in Korean. Some songs were accompanied by instruments as well. Singing in a foreign language is harder than learning a foreign language so, I commend all of them for their efforts.

My friend sang a Korean folksong, ‘Arirang’ and it was heavenly. She sang it so well; I could listen to it all day. I had already memorised the lyrics for ‘Arirang’ so I hummed along as she sang.

Then the Korean folktale ‘Chunhyang’ was performed as a drama. This was my first time watching a Korean drama and I loved it. The actors performed well and their costumes were eye-catching. The play dealt with themes like love, corruption, fidelity etc.,

Then the Korean students received their certificates from the delegates of the Korean Consulate. The Korean teacher, Mr. Lee Hwarang, gave a passionate speech about his students and their potential. I loved that he prized his students.

The interesting part of this event was the story ‘The fart of the daughter-in-law’ It was presented to us as a slideshow. It was a funny story that involved a daughter-in-law who farted so hard that she caused a hurricane.

The stage was then occupied by the dancers who danced robustly. Anderson Hall was vibrating with energy and I couldn’t get enough of it. At the end of the dance performance, the BTS cover of ‘Arirang’ was played as the dancers waved the Indian and Korean flags. It was such a heart warming moment.


After the event came to an end, we were given food coupons. We were served delicious Korean food and we loved it. It was a perfect blend of sweet and spice. We were given beef, chicken, glass noodles, tteokkochi, cucumber pickles and cinnamon tea. The cinnamon tea was mild and refreshing to drink after the meal.

It was such a good day and I enjoyed it a lot. I am looking forward to the 10th Korea Day.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Author

Throughout Heaven and Earth, I Alone Am the Honoured One: Understanding the Nuance Behind Gojo Satoru’s Oft-quoted Statement

A Tip for Fiction Writers